It’s an opportunity to unwind and get away from civilisation for a couple of days. Longer tours heighten the senses and make such tours a more intense experience. Longer tours also give us the opportunity to look deeper into the cave’s uniqueness. We’ll have time to talk about the earthworm “Octolasium transpadanum” or the “Niphargus” a little amphipod. Discover the miraculous “gallery 800” or “Arabian nights”, traverse the “Höllental” with its fantastic dripstones. You’re moving though a world of rock formations more than 120 million years old which were formed and shaped over the past million years!
The bivouac is our little island of comfort in this isolated subterranean world. Particular emphasis was placed to environmental issues when building the bivouac. However – there’s running water in the kitchen and there are toilets (even though special ones). There’s comfortable spots to sit and cosy places to sleep at with optimal insulation.
Nothing better or cosier than a chat over a lovely fondue. And often just before we go to sleep, when all is quiet and the lights are out we cannot help but to reflect on the fact of being thousands of meters inside a mountain in another world.
The next thing you know will most probably be the lovely smell of coffee on the next morning. A healthy breakfast later we’re on the way to discover more of this magical world of the Hölloch.
Prices per person in CHF
Adults (from 20 years)
Youths (16-19 years)
|Rental cave overall||CHF 35.00|
|Illustrated Hölloch anniversary book (special price)||CHF 48.00|
Including: Certified cave guides, entrance fee Hölloch, helmets, headlamps, rubber boots, cave gloves, harness, dinner and breakfast (incl. drinks) at the cave, parking fee at the restaurant Hölloch, VAT
Availability: The tour can be organised from roughly November until March (winter months). Meeting on the first day is at 10.00 h and finishes on the last day at roughly 17.00 h.
Weather: In uncertain weather conditions (temperatures too high / heavy rain/thaw the tour will have to be postponed to a later date. Of course we will contact you one or two days prior to the tour to discuss the options.
Duration: 2 days.
Group size: This expedition can be organised for a minimum of 5 persons. A normal group size is usually 5 – 9 persons. Single persons can join an existing group.
Meeting point: Hölloch centre, Muotathal.
Requirements: This tour requires a very good level of physical fitness. Exposed areas are secured with ropes, ladders, bridges etc. Caving experience is recommended.
- Warm socks; thermal underwear (long sleeves & underpants) or turtle neck jumper and leggings as a base layer*. Top layer: warm and not the newest wear & tear proof jumpers, jackets and pants. Some clothes in reserve for your journey home since your cave clothes might be a bit dirty after the tour. (Alternatively you can rent a cave overall for CHF 35.00 per person).
- 2 Lunches and drinks in your flask (no glass flasks). Drinking water is available and your flask can be refilled.
- Energy bars (nuts, raisins)
- Sturdy backpack (min. 40 – 50 l).
- For your stay at the bivouac: headlamp or torch (batteries in reserve), woolly hat, warm jacket, sleeping bag (ideally one that’s suitable to temperatures to -9°C), spare underwear and socks
- If available, bring your knee pads
* Please note – the temperature in the cave is constantly 6°C, the air humidity at almost 100%. As long as we’re on the move, everyone should feel warm enough. However if you easily get cold, maybe wear a mid-layer over your thermals.